Genealogy Notes for the Village of Little Barrington, Gloucestershire
A miscellany of pictures and data arising out of research into the KIRBY's family trees (but not all linked to them). This is a work in progress so please treat the data with appropriate caution. For related information see www.the-kirbys.org.ukAncestor List, Place Index and Wills Index

Location and general description

6051c1.jpg

Located on the Windrush valley just upstream from Burford, Oxon.


Buildings 

St Peter's Church

 Path to St Peter's Church, Little Barrington St Peter's Church, Little Barrington Tayler monument at St Peter's Church, Little Barrington

Hound Mill (aka Little Barrington Papermill)

Little Barrington MillThis mill was one of those on the Windrush that was used for paper production in the 18th C, others being at Upton, Oxon., and Widford, Oxon

In his Will of 1672, John GODFREY (-abt 1674) left lands in Barrington to his daughter Elizabeth (Shakespeare Birthplace Trust Records Office: DR 18/1/1833), who married George GOLDSMITH. In 1674, the year the Will was proved, the Hound Mill belonged to John GODFREY. GODFREY’s grandson, John GOLDSMITH, sold it in 1700 to Isaac HEMING who then conveyed it to William MINCHIN (his son-in-law) in 1710. There were conflicting indications as to what was there, with three corn mills mentioned at about the same time as two corn mills and a fulling-mill. (Elrington, 1965)

The Manor of  Little Barrington

In 1557 Mary VAMPAGE sold a third of the manor in to William REED. About which time, the other thirds were held by Stephen MATTHEWS and Humphrey SMITH. [Elrington, 1965, n.p.]

In 1570 Stephen MATTHEWS bought the REEDs third from Giles REED. [Elrington, 1965, n.p.]

In 1652 Robert JORDAN (-1658) of Fulbrook, Oxon., purchased a two thirds share of the Manor of Little Barrington from William and Katherine MATTHEWS. [Elrington, 1965, n.p.]

In 1610 Edm. BRAY (-1620) of Taynton, Oxon., granted the manors of Great and Little Barrington to his grandson Sir Giles BRAY (Gloucestershire Record Office: D4247/1)

In 1702, the SMITH's share of the manor was held by Thomas SMITH, who settleed it at that time upon his son Humphrey SMITH. [Elrington, 1965, n.p.]


People

The BRAY family

The nearby Manor or Great Barrington, Oxon., was the seat of an offshoot from the Surrey BRAY family who were based at Shere, Surrey, amidst the paper and gunpowder making centre of the Tillingbourne Valley.

The JORDAN Family

The Robert JORDAN who bought little Barrington Manor was one of the sons of the sons of Robert JORDAN of the Middle Temple, from whom sprang influential JORDAN families in Burford, Oxon, and Witney, Oxon. He died on 8 Feb 1657/58 (according to a memorial in Fulbrook), at which time his wife was Abigail (nee SYLVESTER), though this appears to have been a second marriage. Robert and Abigail married on 5 Nov 1640, Burford, Oxon, the same day as Anna SYLVESTER and Humphrey SMITH were also married at that church.

The GODFREY family

In 1674 the Hound Mill belonged to John GODFREY (-abt 1674), one of the GODFREY family of Milton, Oxon. and Holwell, Oxon. His grandson, John GOLDSMITH, sold in 1700 to Isaac HEMING who then conveyed it to William MINCHIN (his son-in-law) in 1710. There were conflicting indications as to what was there with three corn mills mentioned at about the same time as two corn mills and a fulling-mill. [Elrington, 1965, n.p.]


Related links

A selection of links to other sites with information about this place


Bibliography


 
Any transcripts and images on this page are Copyright R I Kirby 2008 unless stated otherwise.