Location and general
This tiny village lives in the shadow of the Swallowfield
Park estate, to the south of Reading, Berks.
In 1689 Henry HYDE, the 2nd Earl of Clarendon,
aquired Swallowfield Park by marriage and built the current house. The
HYDE family were also connected with Cornbury Park, Charlbury, Oxon
and the journal of the second Earl mentions social contact with the
JORDAN's of Witney,
In 1777, Thomas 'Diamond' PITT, bought the Park from Henry's son,
Edward HYDE, 3rd Earl of Clarendon.
Thomas 'Diamond' PITT sold the property to John DODD for
it remained in his family until 1783.
In 1783 the house was bought by Silvanus
BEVAN who then sold it again in 1789.
By 1825 it was in the posession of Sir Henry RUSSELL, whose
son Sir Charles RUSSELL inherited it in 1852.
The HATTON family
In 1830, Sarah HATTON
, nee KILLMESTER, wrote her will whilst residing
Swallowfield. Her daughter Mary married Henry
who was for a time based in Binfield,
. At this point she had married
daughters in nearby Binfield,
(Mary BULL, nee HATTON) and Reading, Berks (Esther
SKEAT WHITE, nee HATTON).
A selection of links to other
sites with information about this place
- NASH FORD, David,
Berkshire History : Swallowfield Park. Nash
Ford Publishing (2002),